Last year Intel informed customers that they were retiring McAfee email security products, as the Company were focusing their investments in other areas. Sales and further development of these products were ceased and customers were no longer able to acquire new hardware.
The complete product range being retired includes many of the McAfee SaaS email protection services including, Email Archiving, Email Encryption and Email Protection.
If you are running any of the products in the list being retired Intel advised customers to start transitioning to a new service as soon as possible to stay secure.
First some good news.
If you had an existing agreement for an annual service not include McAfee Gateway you could renew them for up to 12 months after your current agreement expired.
Then some bad.
If you were using their Email Archiving you’ll have to extract all archived email messages within 6 months after their service expires, or your archive will be automatically and permanently removed after this 6-month period.
McAfee has a huge footprint across the public sector and small-medium businesses in the UK, so finding an alternative solution and migrating quickly will be vital to ensure your data security.
So what alternative solutions are available for you?
What Email Security Solutions Are Available?
If you are using McAfee email security products and need to migrate away, then there are alternative options available to you.
Intel recommends migrating to products from Proofpoint, but customers are not able to transfer their existing licence to Proofpoint and are not able to receive credit for any unused portion of their McAfee licence. Intel are also not committing that Proofpoint will honour all existing and active contractual pricing agreements.
All in, there are no apparent clear short term financial benefits to moving recommended products, so you may wish to consider looking for a longer term solution.
If you want to keep your email and email security together for simplicity, then Microsoft Exchange and Office 365 has a raft of built in email security and archiving features.
Exchange has built-in defences against viruses, spam and phishing attacks that will actively protect your communications. It will also rather neatly fully encrypt the connection between email servers to provide confidentiality for messages in transit.
When using Office 365, this encryption is also used for securing on-premises mail server traffic to Office 365 data centres for Exchange Online Archiving.
If you were using McAfee’s email archiving products, then Exchange Online Archiving offers advanced archiving capabilities within its archive mailbox feature.
Top 5 Benefits of using Microsoft Exchange
- Protect your sensitive data and inform users of internal compliance policies with Data Loss Prevention (DLP) capabilities: Keep your organization safe from users mistakenly sending sensitive information to unauthorized people. The new Exchange DLP features identify, monitor, and protect sensitive data through deep content analysis.
- Keep all of your important data in one place with Exchange archiving, large mailboxes, and retention policies: Empower your users with an in-place archive and large mailbox to allow them the flexibility to retain email in their primary mailbox, or to archive items.
- Eliminate email threats before they reach your network: Exchange actively protects your communications with built-in defences against email threats. Multi-layered anti-spam filtering comes with continuous updates to help guard against increasingly sophisticated spam and phishing threats, while multiple anti-malware engines work to protect your email data from viruses.
- Bring all of your contacts together in one place: People’s professional networks span many different places. You will have the ability to enable users to bring their contacts in from other networks so that they have all of their information in one place. Exchange will even find the same person across networks and consolidate their information into one contact card, avoiding duplication and multiple contact cards with different information.
- Move to the cloud on your terms with flexible options including Exchange hybrid deployment: Exchange provides you tools to move to the cloud on your terms – whether that’s onboarding to the cloud overnight or managing a hybrid deployment with mailboxes on-premises and online to meet your business needs.
Data loss costs businesses across the UK £10.5billion a year, so having the right security & archiving features in place can certainly help you lower your risk of losing anything important.
If you have any questions about how to better protect your business and solutions that are available to then get in touch.